7:00 am - 6:00 pm
7:00 am - 8:45 am
Breakfast on your own*
* Registrants will be notified if a corporate-supported symposium is offered during this time slot.
8:45 am - 9:45 am
10:00 am - 11:30 am
Concurrent Sessions (111-114)
Melisa Santillano, BS, RD, LD
- Recall the importance of phosphorous restriction and identify strategies that may reduce dietary phosphorous intake.
- Identify optimal nutrition education methods for effective management of hyperphosphatemia in hemodialysis patients.
- Describe the Phosphorous Pyramid as a novel educational tool for dietary counseling.
- Review the importance of identifying and understanding health beliefs when addressing dietary adherence in order to effectively manage hyperphosphatemia.
Using Evidence to Decrease the Incidence of Infections in Nephrology Patient Populations
Tamara Kear, PhD, RN, CNS, CNN
Beth Ulrich, EdD, RN, FACHE, FAAN
- Discuss findings related to infection control from the first national survey of patient safety culture in nephrology nurse practice settings.
- Investigate evidence related to infection control practices in nephrology nurse practice settings.
- Explore the ways that evidence can be used to address commonly described infection control infringements in nephrology nurse practice.
Nephrology Nursing Sensitive Quality Indicators (NNSQIs)
Carolyn Latham, MSN, MBA, RN, CNN
Charlotte Thomas-Hawkins, PhD, RN
Debra Hain, PhD, ARNP, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, FAANP
- Define nephrology nursing sensitive quality indicators (NNSQIs).
- Explain the necessity of utilizing NNSQIs.
- Analyze the current state of development of NNSQIs.
Immunization: Get Your Shots!
Erica Crannage, PharmD, BCPS, BCACP
- Define the recommended immunization schedule for individuals of all ages with CKD.
- Describe the immunogenicity and duration of immunity in individuals with CKD.
- Discuss the indications for use of live attenuated versus inactivated vaccines in individuals with CKD.
11:30 am - 12:30 pm
12:30 pm - 2:45 pm
Lunch on your own*
Registrants will be notified if a corporate-supported symposium is offered during this time slot.
2:45 pm - 4:15 pm
Concurrent Sessions (131-134)
Cognitive Impairment: Where did I leave my... ?
Debra Hain, PhD, ARNP, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, FAANP
- Describe the scope of cognitive impairment in individuals with CKD.
- Outline key aspects of cognitive function assessment.
- Examine how cognitive function affects decision-making capacity.
- Propose interventions to enhance self-care in individuals with impaired cognitive function.
Hypertension: Guideline Confusion
Wendy St. Peter, FCCP, FASN, FNKF
- Compare the JNC 7 and JNC 8 treatment guidelines for hypertension.
- Analyze the studies that provide evidence to the changes recommended in JNC 8.
- Select the appropriate medication for treatment of hypertension based on JNC 8 guidelines.
Reaching for the Stars: Five-Star Quality Rating System
Elena Balovlenkov, MS, RN
- Describe the development of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Systems (CMS) Five-Star Quality Rating System.
- Examine the criteria used in the Five-Star Quality Rating System.
- Rate their personal facility using the Five-Star Quality Rating System.
Transplant: Managing the Waiting List
Sharon Longton, BSN, RN, CNN, CCTC
- Discuss the transplant waiting list candidacy process.
- Describe essential information needed to ensure patient readiness for transplant.
- Develop a plan for patients awaiting a transplant.
4:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Concurrent Sessions (141-144)
Transplant Tourism: You Got your Kidney from Where?
Karin True, MD
- Define transplant tourism.
- Discuss risks associated with transplant tourism.
- Apply strategies to address the risks associated with transplant tourism.
Tracy Anderson-Haag, PharmD, BCPS
- Relate how the increased prevalence of counterfeit drugs may affect patient therapy.
- Develop a plan to include medication source information in patient assessments.
- Summarize a plan for teaching patients and other health care professionals about how to evaluate the source of medication purchases for legitimacy in order to prevent inadequate response to the medical regimen.
Developing and Recognizing Professionalism in the Workplace
Carol Headley, DNSc, ACNP, RN, CNN
- Explore professionalism.
- Develop strategies to enhance professionalism in the work environment.
Renal Failure and Burns
Mario Rivera, MAJ AN, BSN, RN
- Discuss the pathophysiologic changes that contribute to acute kidney injury (AKI) in an individual with burns.
- Implement strategies to prevent AKI in an individual with burns.
- Identify treatment strategies for an individual with burns and AKI.